1. Jersey Dresses. I live in these all summer. They’re cool and comfortable, but hold their shape and don’t crease. This is essential for me as a busy mum – smart, crisp cotton only lasts for a few minutes with children around and I don’t want to look like a crumpled paper bag all day! My favourite jersey dresses always come from Seasalt, White Stuff and Cath Kidston – all of whom do really pretty prints.
I love this one which is available now from White Stuff:
2. A Denim Jacket. Cardigans can look a little too twee with florals. I have lived in this New Look denim jacket all summer – especially on cooler days!
3. Patterned cotton skirts. I really love full skirts – especially ones with elasticated waists and a fun print! Cath Kidston do the best version of these. This year I’ve also really enjoyed wearing this Boden one (above) – it’s still available now, although not in this print. There’s something really fun and flirty about a swishy skirt and they’re so much more cool and comfortable than shorts! I like to wear them with a stripy tee, or a plain navy one.
Here’s one to snap up for a bargain price in the Cath Kidston sale…
4. Seasalt jute bags. I like to have my hands free when I’m out and about, so I tend to carry a tiny cross-body bag. I throw everything else (not too much these days – but usually hats, suncream, drinks) into one of Seasalt’s amazingly versatile jute bags. The cute jute size is perfect for trips into town, and the larger shoppers are perfect for a day out or travelling. I can sling them in the corner of the park, and just keep my essentials to hand. I can’t get enough of them, and they are so affordable – ranging from £4 – £6. Plus, the prints are dreamy.
5. A decent waterproof. I like to have a heavy-duty one for truly dire weather and a lighter packable mac in a pouch. This one from Joules has already kept me dry through a lot of rubbish weather this summer – it’s in the sale now if you’re quick!
6. Sensible Sandals. I know, that sounds awful, doesn’t it? I do a lot of walking and need sandals that are up to the job. I bought some from Clarks last year and they’re still going strong. They can do anything from a quick dash into town, to a three-mile walk along the coast. I don’t have the budget for lots of pairs of shoes, so something like this is perfect as it can do everything!
So, that’s what I’ve been living in this summer! The warmth and sunshine may have temporarily disappeared, but I’m not giving up yet.
What are your summer fashion essentials?